National and Regional Sector Goals are Aligned to Enable Long Term, sustainable economic growth
- Regional / Districts Economic Strategies
- Transforming the regions / districts into a vibrant economic areas. Create employment. Improve: standard of living, household income levels, and health
SEZA focuses on the following industry sectors of strategic national importance that have high yield potential for investors.
- Strategic Importance and National Challenge Addressed
- Agro Business
- There is high potential in food production as the country imports almost all of its food supplies. According to Statistics Botswana the 2019 import bill for food was Pula 9 Billion (about US$ 780).
- Water Management
- This is another sector with high potential for fruitful investment.
- There is a huge potential for investment in Energy as the country has an abundance of untapped coal reserves and solar energy. The power utility, Botswana Power Corporation (BPC), is a ready buyer to supply into the national power grid. Opportunities exist to export power also exist.
- Financial Services
- The fledgling financial services industry offers ripe investment opportunities. The pensions sub sector, alone, runs into Billions of US Dollars.
- Applied ICT
- The fields of innovation, and industrialization are quite opportune to investors. Government is supportive, through, amongst others, enabling policy and provision of high speed internet through Fibre connectivity.
- Medical products manufacturing is another area with huge potential for immediate return on investment. There is a huge gap in the local market and a potential for export.
- There are multiple opportunities in manufacturing for the local market, as Botswana imports a lot of goods, and for export through different preferential trade agreements. The country has a solid young workforce, ready to serve the sector.
Selection Criteria for Potential Developers
- Ready to expand in Africa
- Companies experiencing high-growth, job creation, technology transfer, & export potential
- Empathetic to catalytic policy transformation & revitalizing of economically depressed areas
- Ready to empower nationals. Companies that pride themselves in engaging in social upliftment of nationals of the host nation
- Global Industry Leaders (FDI > P200 Million, Export > 80%): These companies have an appetite to invest in both Africa & Special Economic Zones
- Amongst the top 10% (High business Sophistication Index, Mover & Shaker, Robust networks). They are amongst the top 10% of the stock exchange they are listed on